Sunglasses for the snow?
Sunglasses, believe it or not, are not just for the summer season. You not only need to protect your eyes from UV rays, but also from HEV rays (which most people are not aware of). Below is some important information and tips on how to protect your eyes this winter.
Why do we need to protect our eyes when it’s cold?
- Dull mornings often lead to bright sunny afternoons, and this can be dangerous for unprotected eyes. Remember, just because it’s cold outside, doesn’t mean there isn’t any sunlight.
- As the trees around us no longer have any leaves on them, this means there is less shade to protect our eyes from the sun.
- Because the sun is lower in the sky in winter, drivers often face high glare situations with the sun shining directly into their eyes.
- Snow sports such as snowboarding and skiing are extremely popular at this time of year. This means that those who participate in these sports are exposed to high UV and HEV exposure.
Common eye problems in the winter
Winter sun can be extremely dangerous to you eyes, if no precautions are taken. Being in the winter sun for a long period of time can lead to both short term and long-term vision problems, such as:
- Macular degeneration
- An increased risk of skin cancer of the eyelids and other tissues around the eyes.
How do I avoid this?
Sunglasses that are worn in the summer time should be similar to the ones you wear in the winter such as glasses with lenses that block 100% UV rays and around 80% HEV rays. Shatter-resistant sunglasses are also a good option as they help to shield the eyes from sunlight and any debris. Most people tend to go for a pair of sunglasses that have neutral grey lenses, as they provide the most accurate colour vision. Polarized lenses do provide added protection from reflective glare. However, you must be careful when wearing them as they can make icy patches or ski slopes more difficult to see, which is added danger.
Always remember, however, that sunglasses in the winter are not just for those who are into snow sports such as snowboarding or skiing. People of all lifestyles should wear them even if it’s for work, driving, or just going for a walk. A new pair of sunglasses should be on everyone’s Christmas list this year.