What is Dry Eye?
Dry eye is a common condition that occurs when the eyes don’t make enough tears or they evaporate too quickly.
What does it look like?
The condition makes the eyes seem very red and irritated and the eyelids may become red and swollen. The eyes will feel gritty and itchy and quite sensitive to light.
The eye when stained with an orange dye will look like the following with dry eye:
What causes It?
It occurs when there is a disruption in tear production. Common causes of this condition are:
• Hot and windy climates
• Contact lenses
• Side effects of certain medications such as antihistamines, antidepressants and heart medications.
How do I avoid it?
To help to prevent dry eye the best solutions are:
• Keeping eyes and eyelids clean
• Protecting from dust
• Don’t overdo computer work to avoid eye strain
• Eat a healthy balanced diet including Omega 3
Treatment for this condition isn’t serious and will relieve the symptoms. Eye drops will help to lubricate the eyes and medications will reduce any inflammation.
If you have any queries on dry eye feel free to contact us:
• Ayrshire: 01475 673985 or email us at email@example.com
• Glasgow: 0141 3328884 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org